Monday 5 November 2012

Assorted Pickles/Yogurts

Plain Yogurt, Lime Pickle, Malay Pickle
Most Sri Lankan Tamil vegetarian dishes include accompaniments like the ones pictured above.  A dollop of plain yogurt, sour pickles and chutneys does wonders to enhancing the existing flavours.

Besides the yogurt, you can find a wide array of assorted pickles and chutneys at any South Asian grocer.  The Malay Pickle however is a very common accompaniment that can be eaten with meat dishes as well.  This pickle consists of preserved chunky vegetables such as carrots, onions, and hot chillis!

On a side note, my mother in law makes all her pickles and chutneys from scratch.  I have not come to that level but I can't wait till I'm at that point to share those recipes and techniques with my readers :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment