Monday 5 November 2012

Mini Cinnabon(Cinnamon) Buns


My husband loves cinnamon buns (actually he loves all things laden with sugar and fat but isn't that all men?)  I came across this wonderful recipe and the first time I tried it, we both loved it but I couldn't digest all the fat that it was involved (I choked at the one stick of butter for 8 mini buns that we finished in one sitting - eek!).  So, the next time I attempted the recipe (and I made sure it was many moons after the initial time), I decided to tweak it with some lower-fat alternatives and I found it made no difference on the taste - yippee!

Ingredients:
  • Pillsbury Crescent Dough - Reduced Fat
  •  1/4 cup of butter (1/2 a stick), softened at room temperature, divided.
  • 1/8th cup of brown sugar (I found I used even less than this amount for both types of sugar but its a good starting point)
  • 1/8th cup of white sugar
  •  1/2 tsp cinnamon
Recipe:
  1. Preheat oven at 350F 
  2. Roll out your crescent dough and pinch the seams so it becomes one sheet.
  3.  Use one half of your divided butter mixture and spread all over your dough, particularly the edges.  If you find you don't need all that butter, then don't use all of it!
  4. In a bowl, mix  white sugar, and cinnamon.   Apply this mixture onto the butter which acts as a glue.  After I spread it, I shook off any excess on the dough.
  5. Roll up the dough into a log and cut into 8 even rounds. 
  6. Meanwhile, in a bowl microwave the butter  and brown sugar until they are nicely melted.  Cover your baking dish with this mixture.
  7. Place your cinnamon rounds on top of this mixture.  If you have any sugar/cinnamon mix leftover, you can sprinkle it on top of the rounds.
  8. Bake uncovered at 20 minutes.
Glaze
  1. Microwave 1 tablespoon milk  with 1 tablespoon butter
  2. Add this to 1/2 cup powdered sugar - mix well
  3. Add 1/2 tsp of vanilla
  
Add any extra sugar/cinnamon mixture to sprinkle on top
In the oven, rising up
Trying to glaze the buns!

 
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment